An intuitive proof (kinda) of reference frames attachment to EVERY sensory data

the fact that some of you are suspicious if my posts were GPT-3, frankly, tells more about you and your state of knowledge about current SOTA machine learning capabilities than this typical (not so controversial idea) post.

Actually disagree. One can do personal tests using your own brain. One which Iā€™ve done recently is related to my car showing inaccurate location of objects on the road or the side of the road. It is clear to me the carā€™s NN is trained relative to the car. But our brains reference trash cans and cars on the road not to our location but to the roadā€™s location. You can test this by shaking your head and see if objects separate themselves from the surface they are sitting upon. If not, then clearly the coffee cup on the table is referencing relative to the table and not to your location. It is clear that my carā€™s NN is not trained in the most robust fashion to reference the trash can relative to the sidewalk and the car relative to the road and thus the trash and car can can float around. To develop a more robust system, the developers need to train the NN to use the appropriate coordination reference. Introspection like this is useful to motivate development approaches for commercial systems and research.

Sorry.

1 Like

This has turned out to be one of the most interesting threads on the entire forum, but like Seinfeld, itā€™s a thread about nothing.

2 Likes

And many more. If you canā€™t understand plain English definitions and see why what you say is wrong, then I have no way to persuade you.

Introspection is the examination of oneā€™s own conscious thoughts and feelings. It is not ideation. Period.

I think thatā€™s a good way to look at it: introspection might get the ball rolling but you need real science to make real progress. All I ever asked the OP was to express his idea in a testable scientific form.

The real problem with introspection is we think it tells us something useful but our brains lie to us. What we introspect is a sham, created by a ā€˜subconsciousā€™ to keep the ā€˜consciousā€™ satisfied that it is in control. It really isnā€™t.

And that can be proven scientifically.

2 Likes

I know what introspection means, Itā€™s just not enough to know it, as I said, by those definitions, I do introspection 100% of the time and if I stop introspecting, then Iā€™ll not be conscious.

Those plain English definitions are good at explaining the concept, but they dont define it in a sense concrete enough for us to use in a discussion like this.