Any questions for Jeff?

Yes, a ton actually. Let me post just some of them, and if the format is ok I will post more.

On page 71, Jeff talks about how conscious effort can change the way patterns are retrieved. Do we know how the conscious effort is generated in the brain? Intuitively, something needs to happen to break the circuit of input sequences and predictions happening in the brain.

I am still not sure about the difference between temporal and spatial patterns. Seems like all patterns coming in are just temporal, with spatial configuration encoded in every frame. What benefit does this separation serve?

Seems like, in V1, each cell encodes a particular small feature. Do we know what mechanism is responsible for associating the feature with a cell? (page 112)

How does each cell work with both upward sensory flow and downward predictions? It can’t be like a domino effect where you kick the dominos from both ends because a cell can only take input and generate one spike as the output. Does it mean that the outputs from higher layers connect to lower level cells’ inputs? Basically, can the prediction flow excite or inhibit a cell?