Building HTM Systems (WIP Document)

Just take a look at master. It has the latest React. One thing I noticed was that closing the debugging console prevented the lag I was seeing :man_shrugging:.

I will be working on this today (offline) and tomorrow (live streaming).

sounds good, let me know if you have issues with updating value in the state (i am not sure that is what you want and if it is there is different way to do it)

yeah so i see you have sliced up my code in the SimpleScalarEncoder component breaking the updating (i can explain why it breaks it tomorrow in live stream) but i went into my fork and switched the scrubber to just use a input element for now (with high/low etc) and it is very performant (notice below the Value input changing whiile hovering in d3 changes – d3<->react very fast)…

so the issue is with your code changes that i can point out. I think it makes sense to use the input element for now instead of the number scrubber

this is the Number scrubber i changed …

import React from 'react'
import PropTypes from 'prop-types'

const style =  { 
	border: 'solid gray 1px', 
	borderRadius: '4px', 
	fontWeight: 'bold',
	padding: '2px',
}

const Number = ({ high = 100, low = 0, onUpdate, precision = 0, value = 0}) =>  <input type="number" min={low} max={high} style={style} value={value} onChange={(e) => onUpdate(e.target.value)} step="1" />

Number.propTypes = {
	high: PropTypes.number,
	low: PropTypes.number,
	onUpdate: PropTypes.func.isRequired,
	precision: PropTypes.number,
	value: PropTypes.any,
}

export default Number
1 Like

Skipping ahead to the SP…

We’ve made it partially through encoders, but everyone would rather skip ahead to Spatial Pooling. So we are going to skip some encoders so we can prepare for Spatial Pooling visuals.

So next up is a streaming combined encoder:

17%20PM

We’ll be working on this Thursday 9am. See my events for details. Next week, if that goes well, we’ll start on the “potential pools” diagram:

05%20PM

But we need the combined encoding first, because it will be a part of the potential pools diagram.

I hope you will be able to join me on Twitch if interested!

2 Likes

I’ve abandoned Trello and moved all issues into Github Projects (which is very nice!). I will go over this tomorrow in the live-stream, but I’ve broken work out into 3 projects (so far).

I’ve created all the issues we need to get us to the point where we need to actually build out the spatial pooling algorithm. Before we get there, we have a couple encoding-related tasks we must work on to set up the “input space” for the SP.

32%20AM

2 Likes

Knocked out two tasks on the live stream today. See the latest build here.

Big thanks to @David_Duckworth for his help with React and JavaScript.

1 Like

Good progress today. See it live at https://building-htm-systems.herokuapp.com/spatial-pooling:

1 Like

I think it is time to create a Spatial Pooler.

3 Likes

Tomorrow we’ll create the minicolumn competition that simulates inhibition. Skipping local inhibition and topology at this point.

1 Like

Yesterday I had some trouble getting learning working, but I found the problem today and finished up.

On Monday, we’ll finish up the learning bit and start tracking active duty cycles. This will set the stage for implementing boosting.

AdobeStock_261379799

4 Likes

Next stream will be this afternoon on YouTube, where I’ll be writing prose describing Spatial Pooling.

2 Likes

I had to update the link, sorry. Technical difficulties.

1 Like

Check out the Spatial Pooler prose so far.

2 Likes

I’ll be continuing writing prose for the SP today about the minicolumn competition. Tune in at 1PM PDT.

Live-coding Active / Overlap Duty Cycles (again) in about 15 minutes.

I got duty cycles working properly on my fork (both active and overlap). I just ignored performance and cached 1000 time steps. After testing on the website, it did not slow anything down, so let’s roll with it. I’ll be explaining the code and merging / deploying today, then we’ll create the overlay duty cycle diagram.

Today we created stack-ranked minicolumn competition diagram.

See it live at https://building-htm-systems.herokuapp.com/spatial-pooling#stackRank

2 Likes

Hey folks, I am taking a break from the live-coding so I can do some code cleanup and make fast progress on my backlog. I’m also focusing a lot right now on learning Deep Learning. So I won’t be live-coding on this series for awhile. Just a heads-up. You can continue watching my progress on the Github Project Tracker and see all changes on the staging server.

1 Like

@rhyolight On the last “HTM Hackathon” you asked if anyone would be interested in helping finish up the BAMI book, however, seeing that BHTMS will be the new BAMI, I’m wondering if it makes more sense to contribute to BHTMS instead, especially since I know React and have Web Development Skills.

The issue here is that I want to contribute, but I’m not sure where to start. I just started big time diving into HTM systems (Read BAMI once and watched entire HTM schools series twice), and so I’m not sure I’m yet capable of implementing any unfinished part of the HTM system from scratch (I imagine I have to write my own and have it validated first before contributing in this regard).

Is there any low-hanging fruit that someone with React skills, a B.S. in Neuroscience and a lot of ambition can help with?

4 Likes

I haven’t done a great job keeping up with this. I have a few things to work on before getting back to this. But this is still up to date. You can certainly clone the project and see if you can get into it. @David_Duckworth has worked a lot on it, too, and has much more React experience. He was going to update the whole framework, but I haven’t heard from him in awhile.

4 Likes