📖 Ebook: Insights from the brain, the road towards Machine Intelligence

A very minor edit to the above document added page numbers for unnumbered pages and removes some extraneous spaces; earlier downloaders may wish to download again.

I’ll do my best not to touch this file again, I promise.

2 Likes

Well. I just discovered this via a post on another thread. EXCELLENT work @mthiboust! Thank you.

2 Likes

Nice book, easy to read, excellent diagrams (to the limits of my knowledge). But I was looking for more of the promised biological intelligence and less of the neuroscience. Even the chapter on the neocortex seems to me to contain a wealth of anatomical detail at the expense of a higher level view on how it might contribute to intelligence.The contribution of HTM and SDR seems small indeed.

Keep up the good work, but please try to head for the higher abstractions rather than down into the ganglia and nuclei.

Perhaps you have noticed that “we” have a better handle on the broad brushstrokes of how the brain works than “we” do on how to make an AI.

I think that the degree of the outline is appropriate to the level of understanding of the AI world. There are plenty of stand-alone in-depth books on the various current machine approaches.

Teaching what is likely to be a dead-end like GOFAI or deep learning may be counterproductive for a survey text like this.

1 Like