Higher level regions, finer tuned motor control?

Caveat: IANAN (I am not a neuroscientist)
As I understand it the limbic system signals its constellation of needs as input to the inferior frontal lobes. These are senses just as much as vision or hearing or touch. These “needs” evaluate to very general plans at at this level. These plans are sorted for priority (I see this as a competitive process) and the winner(s) ripple up to the association region (hub) of the frontal lobe to be developed into a detailed motor action plan. As this resulting plan unfolds in time it is fed to the premotor and motor sections along the central sulcus. The motor stages send out “chords” of motor commands to be connected together into smooth motion in the cerebellum. There are numerous loops that feedback the sensory stream to the corresponding sections of the pre-motor and motor cortex.

The hubs of the frontal and parietal lobes are connected together as part of the “global workspace” which is the overarching feedback; the highest level of control. This is workspace is distributed over the entire cortex so there really is not any “apex” of the hierarchy. Dehaene can explain the whole “global workspace” better than I can so here is a reference to get into that if you are so moved.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes