How do you explain delays in remembering something in light of the 1KBTheory

Hi everyone from Madrid, Spain.
How do you explain, using the thousand brains theory, the common phenomenon of remembering something suddenly after a while trying to remember it?
For instance, I have been trying to remember Igor Dimitrov name (tennis player) after an hour or so of seing in my mind his face, the way he plays tennis, the fact he is bulgarian, etc.
Then, out of the blue, the name cames back! Why?

3 Likes

Hi @anunezr, thanks for the fun question.

If it does, from my basic understanding, I think this might occur in the hierarchical arrangement of columns. For some reason, an upper region wouldn’t be converging to a stable “name” for the inputs arriving from below, temporarily. I’d guess it was very close to it, but doesn’t quite cross the line.

After the hour is up, and you can suddenly remember the name, perhaps some new context, or some related memories from a slower part of the brain, finally arrived, pushing the name over the edge into consciousness.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.
I also realized that I remembered initially “Igor” Dimitrov, when the real first name is Grigor (similar phonetics, interesting), then after a while the correct one came back.
I suppose context keeps being added, but the peculiar thing is that we can “make an effort” to keep the input trying to force the correct output out, and this effort can be unconscious.
Kind regards

2 Likes

I guess first we’ll need to understand how the remembering actually works, then we might have more clues of what could disrupt that process and how.

I think that the answer involves the H of HTM, a part that is not examined very much at this time.

Assume that we are discussing the entire brain working as an ensemble of many (perhaps as many as 100) regions or maps. Each region/map is composed of arrays of classic HTM columns in the TBT configuration. These maps are connected by fiber tracts that convey the contents of a given map to one or more other maps/regions. The senses are projected onto a small subset of these maps, mostly towards the outer edges of the parietal lobe, with the subcortical structures projecting to the outer edges of the frontal lobe. Vision gets additional processing in the occipital lobe before joining with the other senses in the parietal lobe.

I think of remembering as a restoration of the contents of consciousness; that is a multi-map puzzle where all the individual parts are in alignment. This is a pattern-completion operation, with each map part being a key into the next like snapping puzzle pieces together. The outer edges of this pattern recall the contents of the regions that code for things like colors or sounds or image fragments. (your qualia if you are into that sort of thing!)

The output of all this is experienced in the temporal lobe/Entorhinal cortex/hippocampus complex.

If large numbers of brain maps fall into alignment but a poorly fitting part (but well enough to be activated) is blocking a recall in some modality you have a stable content of consciousness but the part you are trying to recall is blocked.

You are experiencing something but it is not the thing you were looking for.

You need to let all the parts fade/relax below some baseline state and then restart the recall operation. You experience that as “not thinking about it.”

There are more parts involving the subcortical structures and how their need states drive the cortical activation recall process but that is outside of your question about the TBT and HTM.

3 Likes

Thank you @Bitking, awesome explaination!
This part

totally answers my question.

1 Like