Introduce yourself!

Hello,
My name is Syed Abdullah Shahbaz.
I graduated in Electronics & Communication. I got excited by Jeff Hawkins keynote. Reading “On Intelligence” right now.Seeing someone reverse engineer the human brain got my 100% attention. It inspired alot of peoples like me who got sick and tired of ML,i was exploring other ways and finally i found my less trodden path.

8 Likes

That is great! We are looking for people looking for real answers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello,

My name is David Duckworth and I am a full stack developer (20+ years) with most dev lately being in TypeScript/JavaScript and React. I have been following Numenta and Jeff for almost 10 years and have studied neuroscience and AI in general for almost 20 years. Look forward to contributing!

5 Likes

Hi David! Thanks for joining and also thanks for following me on Twitch. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey there @David_Duckworth welcome, glad to have you here.

1 Like

Hello fellow newbies and seasoned veterans,

There may be no better place where one might come to terms with the workings of the mind than the Numenta community forum and to that end hope we might be able to ask some questions without being offended nor offending anyone else.

2 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name’s Jeremy and I’ve recently started learning about the HTM theory after seeing Jeff give a talk at my university. I’m currently a cognitive neuroscience master’s student exploring virtual reality navigation through human intracranial recordings of the hippocampus. My work leans heavily on using ML for feature decoding. I’m excited for the prospect of applying brain-inspired ML to brain data and hope to apply some of the HTM learning algorithms to my intracranial EEG data.

Jeff pointed out during his talk that theory is a major bottleneck in neuroscience which really sparked my interest. I sometimes hang out in Matt’s twitch streams, and hope to become more active in the community.

7 Likes

Welcome @JSaal! In case you’d like to get specific about your data and objectives we can help you hone NuPIC to them.

Welcome! @JSaal

Hi!

I’m Lucas. Like everyone here, I read Jeff’s book many years ago, and it was truly inspiring for me - from all the popular neuroscience books I was reading at the time, I just felt that this was the closest to the true answer. I’ve been following Jeff and Numenta ever since.

My background is on data science and machine learning. My latest research was on accelerating deep reinforcement learning in multiagent scenarios through experience sharing. I’m currently a member of the research team at Numenta, focusing on applying HTM principles to address the flaws of traditional machine learning algorithms and push the state of the art.

One of the things I most admire about Numenta is this amazing community, so I feel proud to be a part of it. I’m chronically shy on social media platforms (my last facebook post is from 2015), but I am trying to improve on this, so please forgive me if I don’t contribute much in the forums. I do read a lot of the discussions, which I find extremely interesting and thought provoking. I learned a lot from you and I hope to continue learning in the coming years.

I am very open to collaboration, exchanging ideas and projects, so please feel free to reach me through here, my email (lsouza at numenta dot com) or drop by any time for some coffee. And I hope we can meet soon in one of the community meetups.

7 Likes

Howdy all!
I’m Mark Brown, I have been a Data Engineer working in Santa Barbara CA for the past 10 years. I actually live in Gilbert AZ now though.
I ended up here from an article on doing ML in Snowflake, which sounds awesome and I am excited to check it out.

7 Likes

Hi @lucasosouza, great to meet you at last night’s event, and I’m excited to see some ML applications emerge.

Hi @mark_brown, thanks for reading my medium article and happy to hear it brought you here. I hope you don’t get mistaken for @Bitking too often!

5 Likes

I am Mark Browne - clearly different.
Or Bitking, less to get wrong.

Welcome Mark Brown.

4 Likes

Thanks, yeah there are a lot of Mark Browns out there.
I have the markbrown gmail address and it has had an interesting history of emails I get and take over attempts.

3 Likes

Oh cool, I’m in SB now finishing my degree! Where do you work?

1 Like

I’m an IT guy with a background in database and compilers. Very strong C/C++, C#. Also ASM, Java, Python, Ruby, Perl, JS, most languages. Also medicine, music, electronics, game dev.

Business owner and investor (one of my companies sold software for Palm devices, now looking at potential investment in AI/ML). I think Jeff and I would get on fine!

See Github, SO.

6 Likes

Welcome @david.pfx! with enough aussies, eventually we can hold a HTM hackers hangout in AEST :grin:

1 Like

We’re a bit thin on the ground so far, and you’re 1000km from here, so get-togethers are going to be a bit virtual I think.

1 Like

hi all

I am Trung from VietNam. I am looking for something new in anomaly detection and finally i found this HTM. I want to study more about this subject. I hope i can discuss, help and get helps to and from the current members.

Thank you very much.

6 Likes

Hello! This is Kiran Narasimha. I have been curious about Artificial Intelligence for a few years now. Though I broadly agree with Jeff’s views on Intelligence being about Prediction I have begun to question this and now believe Intelligence could be part creation itself. As in something about the brain heart combination making things happen rather than only predicting. I am also interested in the philosophical angle and also identifying causality as the core aspect of intelligence. So my interests go beyond HTM and the Thousand Brain theory to if so what caused that in the first place. To put it simply I’m looking for a much simpler theory of intelligence. And I’m tinkering on those lines.

4 Likes