Jeff Hawkins on Scale and Orientation in Cortical Columns - 30 November, 2020

Absolutely. This all started because I have always expected the columns in the brain to be processing units, and HTM gave me SDR, which is a credible data representation. To my eyes, that just leaves the software to be found. But you see only hardware?

I think you’re saying that all the different things the brain can do are a product of how it’s wired? In effect, you subscribe to the connectome model, or something like it? So you need to explain how all the different bits of wiring got there in the first place, and how the wiring gets updated (memory, plasticity). Right?

I’m not aware of any explicit support for a hardware-only model. Maybe you just didn’t get around to thinking about software yet?

@david.pfx
There are mountains of papers that detail how the connections are part of the functions. Much of HTM theory and practice revolves around copying those connections and functions in man-made hardware.

If you would like to learn more about this I would be delighted to point you to a few of them.

Likewise, there is a large body of work that described how the brain wires itself during the development process. I find this fascinating - huge populations of cells all hitting stages of development in unison and doing things like migrating & forming a new layer or sending axons to targets all the way across the brain and yet maintaining topology in the process. Amazing stuff. This is the very thing that DNA does.

1 Like

And from logic gates we know how to build computers. Don’t you think evolution could do as much with neurones?

I’ve built logic boards, but never again. For a while we used to build boards with microprocessor, ROM, RAM, inputs, outputs, etc. Now we just pick up a Raspberry or two. Evolution can do that too.

The connection scheme is critical to understanding how neurones get together into an NPU. After that it’s SDRs and software.

We agree that the brain is NOT built like a computer. Why in the world would you think nature would use the techniques you use to build computers to make brains?

Different architecture - different technology.

I suspect that you have not been exposed to these concepts but there are many neuroscientists that have understood how the brain wires itself for decades. The limits of the technology are not defined by your lack of familiarity with the subject. Before you spend more time bashing wetware and the people that study it I think you should learn more about it. At a minimum, it would make your criticism more relevant.

Possibly the best place to start is this paper:

Read from the section heading “The ontogenesis of the neocortex” to see how the cortex wiring is established using living cells. This is a nice overview of the process; there are entire textbooks on this process. While you may not be versed in the technical jargon you should get a good idea of the overall process.

Please note, detailed point-to-point wiring is NOT how the brain does things. The structures form from dividing and migrating populations of cells.

At key points in the development process, the cells grow projections of axons and dendrites that form the “wiring” of the cortex.

The DNA program drives individual cell biology and specify what the cell behavior is at each cell division. At particular cell divisions numbers the behaviors may shift. Example: at division 20 the cell may migrate to some chemical marker. At division 25 it may put its energy into generating a growth code with a different chemical marker. The information “data buss” structures end points are coded in the DNA by chemical markers. The location in a given map is given by multiple gradients of chemical markers - you can think of this as an X and Y address inside that region. The DNA program generates proteins that are used for this chemical signalling - both as a beacon and as the template for “sniffing” in the cell seeking some target. I suspect that it is actually encoded in the same region of the DNA in both cell populations.

The connectome forms from entire regions sending axonal projections to find targets in roughly the same topological positions in the destination maps. The chemical gradient of markers is the homing beacon to guide the growth-cones on the axons; the cell literally grows an axon projection guided by the “smell” of the target patch of some very distant region in the brain.

One of the reasons that there is such uniformity of structure in the cortex is that the same basic development program is being executed in the entire cortex. The differentiation driven by the DNA program branches at key points in the process to make “this” population project to “that” population.

The result is sheets of cells that perform parallel operations on well defined streams of data.

1 Like

Nothing new here. This is all familiar material: it’s called embryogenesis It describes the biological equivalent of manufacturing and assembling chips and boards. I got that, now I’m looking for the software.

So describe to me the next bit: how does this group of cells recognise vertical lines, that one does Jennifer Aniston and over there is the smell of lavender and the colour hot pink?

WRT “Jennifer Aniston” cells (i.e. “grandmother cells”), here is my perspective on that.

I believe this is actually a similar problem to recognizing vertical lines. There is an intimate relationship between topology and semantics. Using hexagonal grids, one can, for example, take a series of randomly distributed SDRs with semantic overlap and transform them into a line with an orientation. I’ve been meaning to post some visuals on this, but I can describe this in a little more detail here if you are interested.

As far as the qualia question (why the color pink doesn’t smell like lavender), while an interesting discussion, is ultimately less important from my perspective than the fact that both end up becoming semantics encoded into SDRs by the time they are being processed in cortical columns.

How does “software” do all those things?

While I don’t think the hardware/software distinction is helpful for the brain, if you know any ML you’ll have the idea of a “learning algorithm” vs “trained model” distinction. In ML, the learning algorithm is things like BatchNorm and SGD. The trained model is a bunch of specific matrix multiplications etc., which perform analyses using methods explored by the OpenAI Microscope Project for example. I think it’s not a bad start for the neocortex specifically to say that the genes set up the learning algorithm, and then the trained model is built over your lifetime by the learning algorithm, which involves Hebbian learning and other stuff.

2 Likes

No, that’s not quite it. WIthout trying to box anyone in, here are some choices. (I’m going to assume that ‘cell’ is an abstract reference to some place we can monitor, not necessarily just a single neurone. By training I mean adjustment of synaptic weights, or something similar).

• The cell was programmed in the DNA to respond to the smell of lavender and nothing else. There is a lines gene, lavender gene, hot pink gene and Jennifer Aniston gene…
  • The cell was programmed in the DNA to respond to smells, and was trained by data to respond only to lavender. There is a lines gene, smell gene, colour gene and faces gene.
  • The cell DNA is the same for each case, the cells start out generic. It was trained by data alone to recognise lines, lavender, hot pink or a particular face.

Does any of these reflect your views or known science?

Generic neuronal processing units and a ‘library’ of hundreds or thousands of little programs (form unknown) that control the generation of output SDRs in response to various inputs. The lavender cell is not running the same program as the hot pink cell.

I know ML. Remind me how much labelled training data it takes to make that work?

Close. The sensors in the sense organs make spike trains. The CCs all respond to spike trains - a universal data format for neurology. The semantic meaning is given by what is hooked to the sensors, or where it is in the processing chain.

First I wrote that it’s useful to think of a “learning algorithm” vs “trained model” distinction, at least in the context of the neocortex. Then you wrote this reply, which I guess is a snarky way to say “ML has low sample efficiency, therefore we shouldn’t use concepts or intuitions from ML when talking about the brain”. You can correct me if I’m misunderstanding you.

I agree with you that today’s popular ML models typically have low sample efficiency compared to brain-like algorithms. In fact I wrote a whole blog post exploring why that is:

But I don’t think that’s a strike against “ML” in general, because “ML” is a very very broad category, way beyond “deep neural nets trained by SGD”. For example, Numenta’s HTM algorithm is ML, because it involves a machine that learns. If someone someday creates a brain-like Artificial General Intelligence, that will have be ML too, by definition, because again, it will involve a machine that can learn new things. And being brain-like, it will have a similar sample-efficiency as humans.

I think a “learning algorithm vs trained model” distinction is a generally useful concept when thinking about a large swathe of ML systems (though not all of them), including ConvNets and Transformers, and also including the neocortex and certain other parts of the brain.

You’re welcome to disagree with that—I’m very open to the possibility that this concept is somehow misleading. But I don’t see how the sample efficiency of ConvNets and whatnot is evidence for that. It seems entirely unrelated to me. Sorry if I’m missing something.

1 Like

I understand that you see each cell having hundreds or thousands of software programs in it (presumably from birth) and choosing which ones to run (based on the inputs presumably?). Of course a given neuron really has only one output (plus some internal states), so presumably the software is all about deciding when and how often to fire. Which makes me wonder how many programs would be needed to make such a relatively limited decision…

Personally, I think most of us here believe neurons are much simpler than that (though clearly not as simple as ANN Point Neurons). You need large populations of different types of neurons, each running simple local rules, for sophistication to be manifested. I recommend looking up Cellular Automata if you are not already familiar with the concept of emergent complexity from simple local rules.

I recommend doing some research on unsupervized learning. And of course, for humans, we also do a lot of labelled training through the use of language.

1 Like

I’ll just mention again that this is all triggered by the existence of a regular repeating structure in the neocortex, and the discovery of a data representation in the SDR. If the regularity suggests a ‘neural processing unit’ of perhaps a few hundred neurones and SDR is the data then the missing piece is software. After that, it’s all speculation.

Neurons are complex (for cells) but simple compared to NPUs. It’s the NPUs that need to execute the program, not each individual neuron. The program is all about deciding which SDR to emit. That could be quite a complex task.

I’ve followed Cellular Automata since the days of John Horton Conway and Scientific American. I’ve programmed a few. And I recall Wolfram found one that is a universal computer. Not sure it helps.

Neurons do a helluva lot of work with mRNA, both transcribing and non-transcribing. That’s where I would be looking for the software, either the mRNA itself or the generated peptides, or both.

It seems you dismiss the possibility that the basic premise of CA might be applied to biological systems, and in particular neural structures in the brain. Anyway, I don’t mean to discourage you, but like I said, you’ll probably need to do some research to further refine your idea before you’ll have more luck convincing others to invest time in it.

1 Like

To give you some encouragement, I think we are in agreement that the cortical column (or NPU as you call it) is performing some functions on its inputs and producing outputs. Most of us here believe it is the structure of the CC which will reveal those functions, but ultimately once the functions are understood, we would simulate them in software and optimize them. I think your angle is looking at it from the software perspective first, but maybe you end up in the same place at the end.

1 Like

Not at all. I kind of like the idea of a CA machine, because different starting patterns produce different behaviour. If the NPU is a CA machine, then the software is simply a range of starting patterns. Evolution is well-suited for finding those.

I say NPU only to avoid being too precise about the anatomy, but yes, CCs are the best candidate.

No argument here. I just don’t think the structure will tell all, and in particular it won’t tell you why similar CCs do such different things. Time will tell, presumably.

Good lord, how can someone in “HIERARCHICAL TEMPORAL Memory” Forum thinks geometry and time (delays) created by geometry, the pathway of the neuromodulators or any LOCAL rule’s effect anywhere has nothing to do with the geometric constraints of brains. If neuroanatomy is not important, you shouldn’t use the L2/3, L4, L5, L6 terms or granular agranular terms, ANYWHERE. Those are the most basic cytoarchitecture information available, still architecture. And I wonder how can you talk about anything in this forum if you restrain yourself with the “People without my background think that neuroanatomy and connections will get us there, but they’re dead wrong” idea.

1 Like

Although your post is a bit incendiary, I have to agree (yeah, so what?).

For a justification of this, look to the recently cited paper by S. Murray Sherman and W. Martin Usrey, Cortical control of behavior and attention from an evolutionary perspective. What they do is summarize the current SOTA surrounding our knowledge of how the cortex is involved in what is essentially a very complex, preprogrammed robot equipped with an array of central pattern generators (CPG) that control it. Start with decerebrate cats that walk and run without the benefit (or interference!) of their cortex. What we find out from that paper is that the cortex is not necessary for pretty much all of the behaviors of a mammal. The cortex ‘dips down into’ the control systems (somatosensory and motor) of the animal and serves as an executive controller that has, in the words of Sherman and Usrey:

For animals to survive, they must interact with their environment, taking in sensory information and making appropriate motor responses. Early on during vertebrate evolution, this was accomplished with neural circuits located mostly within the spinal cord and brainstem. As the cerebral cortex evolved, it provided additional and powerful advantages for assessing environmental cues and guiding appropriate responses. Importantly, the cerebral cortex was added onto an already functional nervous system.

When we get to Homo sapiens and Homo troglodytes*, the cortex is not only large, but also has command of one of the most complex of the robot structures possible (arms and legs). All of this combines to produce a very sophisticated animal. The cortex then is used for learned behaviors, and that is where HTM comes in. But the most important behavior is reserved for humans and that is language. What language does is allow humans to produce and repeat near infinite sequences of action that are mediated by language. This is effected by a learning process that every human undergoes.

Something else happens, but not until basic language skills are acquired. That, and this is just my theory now, is a self-organizing operating system that we call consciousness(C). C allows us to introspect, it allows us to navigate a virtual 3D map in our minds both in the 1st person and also as an observer. It also establishes our sense of time and includes the ability to look ahead and back into the past. This is all done in the software of the human brain, not the hardware. The architecture of that hardware is still being determined and how it allows for this OS to self-organize is yet to be determined.

Think of everything a chimp can do as firmware with the exception of tool use. I will proffer that if a chimp could be genetically modified to speak it would develop C, but only to the level of a five-year old human and that level is just speculation on my part.

*I am siding with Morris Goodman on this.

3 Likes

I agree with all of that, except some aspects of ‘C’. There is a clear progression in evolutionary terms of complexity and richness of behaviour associated with brain size. You don’t need ‘C’ to explain the adaptive and problem-solving and planning behaviour of a cat or a raven. Language is the supercharger, but the neocortex or the avian equivalent is the engine of intelligence. A firm understanding of cortical function might not help with understanding sensation or motor control, but it sure would help a self-driving car or work-horse robot at the higher levels.

But the ‘fire’ I was trying to light is: what about the software? SDR and HTM are novel and plausible, but at most they account for a few percent of what the cortex can do, even without language. I don’t buy the idea the cortical column is created as a blank slate and learns everything from scratch in every organism. I would expect evolutionary advantage in passing on a selection of successful algorithms to offspring and if it’s not ‘wired in’ where is it?

To me the obvious links to explore would be junk DNA, RNA and neuronal synthesis etc but I don’t follow the field so that could be totally wrong.