Learning how birds teach themselves to sing Dad's song

[First, a parenthesis about SDR overlap, but that’s not my main question]

I’m quite okay that having a set of possible SDRs makes it possible to chose one with greater overlap to another, in computers. If we except segments&cells doing, in essence, precisely that against input SDRs, and instead reason about output SDRs, I’m not really understanding how brain would do it, if there’s not some output-global-scheme enforcing that result settles to one particular choice among the initially possible, though…
like, a grid? ^^’ but that’s another topic.

What I’d really want to express, I guess, is more related to the underlying implementation of learning : both HTM spatial pooler and TM algorithm uses a very Hebbian-agreeing scheme to this point. And I like precisely that fact.
Maybe you’re able to envision a higher abstraction of that phenomenon that one could qualify as error detection, but that’s not natural to me.
So, I’m not really able either to go from an “error detection” concept in motor development, that I could bring back to the local Hebbian stuff that I expect is really happening. Could you explain that to me ?

3 Likes