Matt is live streaming regularly

Maybe stream on Twitch and then publish the video on sites like PeerTube? Should be an cost-effective solution. Just saying.

1 Like

I don’t mind paying a small subscription fee so I don’t have to do this. :slight_smile:

That brings up another question… is Twitch available in China?

1 Like

I don’t live in China. I’m not effected by the GFW in Taiwan. :stuck_out_tongue:
A quick search shows that it is blocked. (Also all Google services are)

2 Likes

I know, but you are the closest person I know :stuck_out_tongue:. Thanks for checking for me!

2 Likes

I googled and it claims that the GFW is not a factor in Hong Kong & Macau for now.
But it could be in the future.

1 Like

I’ll be live-streaming again today at 1PM (an hour from now) on the topic of 2D Object Recognition Project. I have some thoughts and I am really trying to test Twitch out. Hopefully see some of you then. If you create a twitch account you can chat directly with me while I’m online. I saw @riccro on one of my videos. :smiley:

2 Likes

I was watching for a while.
I did try to login.
Seems that my old password did not work and when I asked for a reset I never got the email link to do so.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s the presence I felt. ;-).

1 Like

I am live now setting up Unity3d.

1 Like

Blocked at work.
Also on our wifi for the phones.
Not burning a lot of data for this for a background monitor task.
Damn.

Sorry! Just finished up bumbling around Unity tutorials. Not sure it is worth watching, but I managed to create some cubes.

Do the unity tutorials.
Seriously.
The Unity tutorials are fast and well designed.
I was as lost as you seemed to be until that point; then it all started to make sense.

On your comment on C#, think of it as regular C++ with a very different library.
C# is mostly C++ syntax that compiles to byte code that executes on the .net engine.
It feels a lot to me as if I was writing in managed Java; a lot of stuff is done for you.
If you know .net it should go pretty well.

@rhyolight, there was a network connection problem at some point. I don’t know where it came from, but apparently other users noticed I too.

I waited a while for the connection to come back on, but apparently I had to refresh my browser for that to happen. I missed about ten minutes due to that. So this is a tip for next time.

Also, I googled how to use Python in Unity. There are some third party tools that seem to allow it. But there is also this free 3D editor/ game dev environment called Blender that uses Python natively I think.

Blender also has a large extremely enthusiastic user-base. Maybe some of those people would be interested in looking into HTM through Blender. (Just a thought. I don’t know nor use Blender).

1 Like

I dabble in blender.
LIke unity - it has a steep learning curve.
After all this time using it I keep finding new things it can do.

I don’t think that it is a good a gaming or multi-user platform as unity.
Deployment of your finished package across a wide variety of platforms seems easier in unity.

Yes, your models can be tied to code.

If python is your thing Blender has a definite edge.
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/advanced/scripting/introduction.html

1 Like

Thanks. (I don’t know either, so I’ll try to learn whichever you guys decide on using).

On a bit of a sidenote, how is this interface supposed to run? Is the complete HTM part going to be executed from within Unity (or Blender), or is there a way to interface between the Python interpreter running HTM and the 3D modeler to display the results?

Or can the interface (developed in Unity or Blender) be run as a standalone program and take inputs from a separate program like the Python interpreter?

I guess that it really comes down to figuring out what it is you want to do and setting up the best architecture to support that model.
BTW: Both blender and Unity support object and spatial modeling, reporting position of moving objects, reporting object collision, and real world physics. (Inertia/momentum, gravity, kinematics) Both are capable of being a model of and an interface to a virtual world.

1 Like

I am live-streaming now, while I’m catching up on HTM Forum conversations. Join if you feel like chatting.

I just came across this open-source engine called Godot. It’s very small and apparently very capable. This video (by a very enthusiastic vlogger) shows off some demo’s. Apparently it has a built-in scripting language based on python.

Ok, I am going to stop posting here whenever I stream on Twitch. All the important videos will be archived on this youtube playlist, so you don’t even have to use Twitch to see the videos.

1 Like

I changed my mind, and I will be posting on this thread every time I live stream on Twitch, which will be often. You know how to mute this thread if you need to.

Oh yes, I am streaming now while I respond to forum comments.

1 Like