Motor cortex in the hierarchy

How is the motor cortex connected with other regions?

In a lot of examples it is described, how the primary sensory regions get their input, and how regions higher up in the hierarchy are connected.

Usually V1 is the example that is used:
First you have the retina, which sends their information to the thalamus. From the thalamus the information enters the cortex. There all the cortical processing is applied (Whatever it is). And then the information is passed on to the next (higher) region (V2) using differen pathways (Cortex-Thalamus-Cortex, Cortex-Cortex). Also we know that the motor output from V1 is used to control eye movement, and that V1 and V2 are basically connected in a hierarchy.
I also know that this is very simplistic, and that their are a lot of pathways between the regions, and that the hierarchy is not always so strict, but i think it helps to have a basic understanding, how the cortex can make use of the information of the retina.

In this video you can find an example explaination in more detail (but only for primary sensory regions)

But how is the motor cortex connected with other regions?
The pyramidal tract is explained on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramidal_tracts
So it is known how the cortex is connected to muscles.

Is the motor cortex on the other end of the hierarchy, basically the highest, when following all the information processing from the sensory regions to the motor regions?
Where does it get its input (L4 input) from?

Sorry for the bulk of questions…
I would already be happy if someone could point me in a direction or provide a link to papers, where some of the questions are answered.

1 Like

You may want to google that bit. The frontal eye fields don’t do much with V1. The sub-cortical structures pick what they want you to look at and tell the forebrain to make it happen.

There is also a very complicated system to cancel the effects of self motion and saccades but this is not the same thing,

2 Likes

This paper describes the feedback path which may use the “motor” outputs:
Deep Predictive Learning: A Comprehensive Model of Three Visual Streams dual pathway results in a very powerful convergence mechanism in learning.

2 Likes

Thanks, Bitking! I will have a look. Its a big paper, so it might take a while to read it.

1 Like