Proposing a Model for the Basal Ganglia and Reinforcement Learning in HTM

Yes, it is discussed in this thread [1].

I really understand what you mean and I agree with the approach. Although implementation wise, if layer 5 activates the motor action, it is important to ensure that any activation on the layer 5 is a coherent one to output a coherent action. Based on my experiments, the combined bias at layer 5 caused by the mechanism you described would have bits and pieces from multiple good and bad states. There needs to be a conflict resolution here and you are suggesting that this is the duty of the lower regions in the hierarchy through top down feedback which I agree. Though in practice, it is not clear to me how. I am also suggesting that topdown influence is not the only component solving this. According to this paper [2], the conflicting activations of layer 5 is resolved through its apical dendrites sampling from layer 1. Layer 1 integrates information from basal ganglia, thalamus and other cortical regions. So the solution might not be that simple.

Is it possible that you are confusing Temporal Memory with Temporal Pooling? If so, we are arguing about different things. If you were talking about striatum having Temporal Memory, then I totally agree with that and that is how I implement it.