What are the (commercial) applications of our knowledge of the 2/3 layer of the neocortex?

I’m probably not the right person to answer your question, but I think what Jeff is saying is that the ideas have been extensively tested in a research setting over a long period of time (decades, if you count the pre-Numenta work as outlined in On Intelligence). In other words, the theory tends to be supported by existing and emerging evidence from neuroscience rather than be contradicted by it.

And, for the small number of commercial applications that it is currently suited to, it works well. I don’t think there is much of a market beyond what you’ve already outlined, but happy to be corrected.

There have been some excellent discussions here in the past (in particular this one) about why HTM isn’t mainstream yet. You’ll see there aren’t any illusions from the community that HTM has limited applications in its current state, and even nupic itself is clearly labeled as a research vehicle rather than a commercial application.

2 Likes