87.15% accuracy using Spatial Pooler and a biologically possible classifer on MNIST

Hi everyone.

I’ve been trying to improve the accuracy of MNIST classifications. My ~65% accuracy accuracy using SP was a bit disappointing for myself. Particularly, MNIST isn’t a hard problem in ML.

I find the problem was mostly how I implemented the classier. The classifier computes the overflap score of a input SDR versus a stored reference SDR. However my old implementation does a crud job maintaining the sparsity of the stored SDR. Improving that immediately improved the classification accuracy to 87.15%, on-par with the earliest neural networks. And surprisingly the optimal hyper parameter changed dramatically. Instead of a boosting strength of 0.1, now the optimal boost strength is a very high value like 9.

I think the next step to further improve the performance would be building a vision encoder. But it is out of my capability. Hopefully my result can inspire someone to look further into it.

The code and results are available on GitHub

3 Likes

@marty1885 well you reach very high score by Mnist. Congratulation!
For biological plausible visual encoding I found an interesting paper:

and think it is not so difficult for implanting it with HTM.core or your Etaler!

1 Like

@marty1885 your result confuse me a bit! If I remember correctly, last time you archive 98% score?

1 Like

No, that’s someone else using NuPIC’s SDRClassifer, which internally is a softmax regresser. I can only achieve 72% using a biologically possible classier with 16384bit SDR.

My apologies for the bad naming. NuPIC/HTM.core’s SDRClassifer is softmax regression. But SDRClassifer in Etaler is the old CLAClassifer from way back.

Nice!

It would be interesting to relate your work with the Sparse-CNN models of @subutai and @lscheinkman in their paper “How Can We Be So Dense? The Benefits of Using Highly Sparse Representations”:

They modified their previous classical Spatial Pooler in order to compete with other CNN models on the MNIST challenge.

Here we discuss a particular sparse network implementation
that is designed to exploit Eq. 3. This implementation is an
extension of our previous work on the HTM Spatial Pooler,
a binary sparse coding algorithm that models sparse code
generation in the neocortex (Hawkins et al., 2011; Cui et al.,
2017). Specifically, we formulate a version of the Spatial
Pooler that is designed to be a drop-in layer for neural
networks trained with back-propagation. Our work is also
closely related to previous literature on k-winner take all
networks (Majani et al., 1989) and fixed sparsity networks
(Makhzani & Frey, 2015).

They achieve near state-of-the-art results (around 99%) with their sparse implementation. Though, it can be argued that their implementation is not biologically possible because they trained their network with backpropagation, contrary to your approach (the point of their paper was more about the added value of sparse representation for noise robustness, not the biologically-compatible training algorithm).

2 Likes

You should be able to get more than 93% classification accuracy (test accuracy) when using SP+SDR classifier.

I believe We aren’t talking about the same classification algorithm.

The SDR classifier I was referring to is a softmax classifier trained with stochastic gradient descent.

Well in my carefully considered expert opinion that is awesome… Good job. Lol.