Does Numenta have model or implementation for thinking?

Does Numenta have models on how thinking or thought works within the brain or even better, an implementation for that model?

I know about the 'Thousand Brain Theory of Intelligence ’ - https://numenta.com/blog/2019/01/16/the-thousand-brains-theory-of-intelligence/

which talks about structures that could support thought/thinking - each Corticol column builds a model of the world based on sensory input and connections in the cortex could allow columns to work together to identify objects, etc

This is the definition of thinking from Wikipedia -
‘Thinking allows humans to make sense of, interpret, represent or model the world they experience, and to make predictions about that world’

Does Numenta have any implementations for this process(thinking)? Makes me wonder too - how can neurons be wired to store a sequence in time or store a thought like the shoe is red

Maybe in the ‘shoe is red’ case, there’s two Corticol columns. One of shoe. One for red. When the thought is formed, there is a link between the two Corticol columns.

1 Like

Thinking is a very generic and confusing term, I think :wink:. But let’s use the Wikipedia definition to continue this discussion.

Thinking allows humans to make sense of, interpret, represent or model the world they experience, and to make predictions about that world

In our theory, the only way to accomplish this is through movement. All our papers and models so far have made some basic assumptions about movement in order to test our theories of object representation storage and retrieval. So we do some hand-waving and assume that movement can be somehow represented in a semantic vector.

Assuming that thinking involves some kind of movement through a mental space, no, we do not have an “implementation of thinking”. We do, however, have a biologically inspired theory of sequence memory upon which rich representations can be built through movement. How does the movement work? How it is actually represented? How does cortex generate movement output? These are open questions.

3 Likes