Breaking changes are changes that make an existing way of doing something (whether correct or not) invalid. This includes name changes of public methods, classes, or configurations.
Breaking changes must be identified as early as possible! If you are planning on making a breaking change, aside from discussing it here on #nupic:developers you should follow the following steps:
- document breaking change within commit message (which will go in CHANGELOG.md)
- announce the breaking change on #nupic:developers with a link to the PR that contains it
- allow 72 hours before merging for community response
- merge PR
- release new MINOR versions for community
- announce new release, including breaking change, at #nupic