Learning a collection of features where order doesn't matter

You make an excellent point about the concept of “order” in a general sense. To clarify, what I specifically mean by order in the context of this theory is the sequential order in which features are experienced, not a more general sense of order and design in the object or system as a whole. There is of course that second type of order as well, and it does matter in the context of this theory. There could even be a sequential element to it, as I theorized on my other thread, or that “order” could just be information about position of features without any sequential element to it.

The point I am theorizing here is that although I experience inputs as sequences over time, the order of those sequences are not always important and need to be learned (depending on the problem of course). For example, I can touch the features of an object in any random sequential order (and I can spend more points in the sequence touching certain features than others). I don’t need to remember what order I touched things in, only that they are all associated with the object. Hopefully that clarifies my thinking on this theory.

EDIT: I should also point out that “where order doesn’t matter” doesn’t imply “where time doesn’t matter”. Inputs changing over time are how things are learned in HTM, and that central concept still applies in a system “where order doesn’t matter”.

It also occurred to me that if I were to wake up with two pins stuck into the end of my finger, I probably wouldn’t need to move my hand to recognize it (although that’s one theory I’m not going to test :smile:)

1 Like