Replace columnar boosting with energy, cell death

Cool writeup!

If I understand the idea of “Path SDRs”, you want to hint where a new synapse should grow, and assume it should happen “in direction to” other active cells. (right?)

Later you go into details how construct these graphs/paths on SDRs… This goes nicely with Replace inhibition with proximal horizontal inhibitory connections
esp the connections to distal cells (also forms SOM, as you mention in the thread).

To be biological, we could use the hypothesis that a signal going through axon (or a pathway rather) also generates some electrical field in neighbourhood (even if shielded by myelin shell), so the graph approximates the path (actually can be curved) of the axon. Cells near an ofthen-active pathway get energy bonus. That would be the “pathway SDR growth”.

Though I’m not completely sure this approach would not actually break some assumptions how SDRs form.

Back to energy, cell death, boosting, and forgetting:

• do we have a good experiment/dataset to test its efficiency?
    • I have the counter example with “empty input, large SP”
  • regarding implementation, how to do this to not hurt performance too much?
  • so we agree the “metabolic sustenance” should be applied to synaptic level?
  • boosting is about supporting columns/synapses to “grow to unexplored areas”. How do we go about that?
    • the “pathway SDR growth” would do the opposite.
    • I think we could do this model:
      • neurons have some “fibres” that nuture them (give them food)
      • generalize local inhibition to competition for food
      • in popular areas (many active cells) the competition is tough
      • in deserted areas (no activations) theres abdulance of food, so a random cell can activate and grow synapse.
        …TBD
1 Like