Rescaling of Duty Cycles in CLA Classifier/BitHistory

I’m still journeying through the wilderness of CLA Classifier code trying to wrap my head around it… and I’ve got another question :slight_smile:

Lines 129-145 of BitHistory, for reference, are as follows:

// This is to prevent errors associated with infinite rescale if too large
if(denom == 0 || dcNew > DUTY_CYCLE_UPDATE_INTERVAL) {
    double exp = Math.pow((1.0 - classifier.alpha), (iteration - lastTotalUpdate));
    double dcT = 0;
    for(int i = 0;i < stats.size();i++) {
        dcT *= exp;
        stats.set(i, dcT);
    }

// Reset time since last update
    lastTotalUpdate = iteration;

// Add alpha since now exponent is 0
    dc = stats.get(bucketIdx) + classifier.alpha;
} else {
    dc = dcNew;
}

As I understand it, this block of code exists to guard against brobdingnagian sized duty cycle values (aka duty cycles that are larger than Integer.MAX_VALUE). If a duty cycle this large is calculated, then the above block of code is entered and it proceeds to perform some arcane black magic on all of the buckets’ duty cycle values. The end result is that each of the duty cycles in stats (the TDoubleList that holds the duty cycles values for each bucket) are scaled by exp such that they are made smaller, but still retain the same ratio to one another. This means that we must also scale down the brobdingnagian duty cycle that caused us to enter this if-statement in the first place. That’s what line 142 is for:

dc = stats.get(bucketIdx) + classifier.alpha;

…which just takes the previous value for that bucket and adds alpha to it (a result of the formula used to calculate the duty cycles, found on line 121).

So, this whole mess just keeps the duty cycles from exceeding the Integer.MAX_VALUE threshold, while preserving the ratios between the duty cycles themselves. Great.

Now my question: Why are the duty cycle values for all of the buckets (besides the currently active one) just reset to 0? I’m probably overlooking something terribly obvious, but that is what lines 131-136 appear to be doing:

double dcT = 0;
    dcT *= exp;
    stats.set(i, dcT);
}

Doesn’t this skew the ratios between the duty cycles? Aren’t there easier ways to reset a list to 0? And why calculate exp if we don’t even use it?

Also, the Python version appears to be doing it as I described above - not just reseting them all to 0 (lines 139-143 of python version):

exp = ((1.0 - self._classifier.alpha) **
        (iteration - self._lastTotalUpdate))
 for (bucketIdxT, dcT) in enumerate(self._stats):
      dcT *= exp
      self._stats[bucketIdxT] = dcT

I am not a python expert at all, but I think the above code is using a comprehension expression, and so the equivalent Java code would be:

double dcT = 0;
    dcT = stats.get(i);
    dcT *= exp;
    stats.set(i, dcT);
}

Again, I’m probably just overlooking something incredibly obvious, or don’t understand what the code is supposed to be doing. That wouldn’t be anything new :stuck_out_tongue: I’d really appreciate it if any of you HTM wizards could help me out with understanding this :slight_smile:

Just to recap, I essentially have two questions:

1. Is my understanding of lines 129-145 of BitHistory correct?
  2. Why do the Java and Python implementations differ? Well, not that they do, but what is it that I’m misunderstanding here that is causing me to think they do?

Hi Andrew,

You may have uncovered a bug. Have you tried adding the missing line to the Java implementation and see if the tests still pass? That would be the first step in seeing what any differences are. Your code does make sense though, to me too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,
David

Just went in and added that line, then reran CLAClassifier.java as a JUnit Test within Eclipse. Everything passed just as before - 0 errors, 0 failures out of 15 runs.

Shall I create an issue and PR for this?

Andrew, yes - please submit an issue and we can take a look at adding that omission to the code. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
David

Happy to help! :slight_smile: