The Measure of Intelligence & ARC dataset

Mark, really appreciate you posted this research paper. this is one of the most useful information I got so far. This paper definitely spelled out exactly what my thought is in regarding to the importance of defining intelligence. Took me a bit on finish reading it. But here are some of the useful excerpts I got from it:

For instance, common-sense dictionary definitions of intelligence may be useful to make sure we are talking about the same concepts, but they are not useful for our purpose, as they are not actionable, explanatory, or measurable.
Totally agree on this. It is very important for a definition to be actionable.

What’s worse, very little attention has been devoted to rigorously defining it or benchmarking our progress towards it
As I have learned so far with my first post.

When it comes to creating artificial human-like intelligence, low-level sensorimotor priors are too specific to be of interest
I think the author used better terminology than I did. But as indicated before I don’t think the sensorimotor side is necessary.

the purpose of our definition is to be actionable. quantitative foundation for new general intelligence benchmarks
And this is exactly what I had in mind. Without defining intelligence (as actionable definition), it is impossible to quantitatively verify if the implementation has achieved what it sets out to do.

Intelligence must involve learning and adaptation
The author had an amazing definition which includes a mathematical equation as a measure. But I think this phrase sums it up on the very very high level what the essential elements are and we can further break down what learning is and what adaptation is

Time efficiency
Energy efficiency
I share the same view with my original comment

This paper is very very important. Really really appreciated you have shared this with me. I will definitely read it more and also follow the author’s work closely. And I highly recommend everyone to read this paper. Very insightful. And very important first step.

3 Likes