Are there any alternative or supportive theories currently being developed that merit attention?

I’m interested in knowing whether there are any organizations or individuals engaged in research similar to Numenta’s efforts to formulate a theory of the neocortex for artificial intelligence. Are there any alternative or supportive theories currently being developed that merit attention, especially considering that Numenta appears to have ceased publicizing their findings?

1 Like

He has been very busy: CCNLab - Randall C. O'Reilly, CV
Search | arXiv e-print repository

See the LEABRA model

What can LEABRA do?

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve also noticed the hole created by Numenta’s shift in focus. There’s a lot of work to be done on creating HTM-like microcircuits from new architectural theories. Ever since Matt Taylor died, the Numenta forums lost a lot of activity and Numenta’s engagement has also dropped significantly.

I’m working on creating a new online hub focused on experimenting with brain-inspired discrete cortical microcircuits similar to things like the HTM’s Spatial Pooler and Temporal Memory. People have done a lot of experimentation with different variants and I’d like to see those lessons learned collated and expanded upon.

Furthermore, I have my own theories and results that I’ve been wanting to publish, but have been procrastinating on getting it out there.

3 Likes