Biological constraint of grid cells

@Falco
You said:
For some reason the angles of the triangles in the grid are constant (60°) but the edges are not. Also, the orientation varies, but we don’t know by how much. And I have seen papers where grid cells physically located nearby, code for grids with close orientation. There must be a physiological reason for this. (I suspect that axion lengths and therefore signal transmission speeds must play a role).

In the post referenced below (scattered throughout the text) I describe how the lateral axonal connections of layer 2/3 reinforce each other. The shortest distance for three cells to interact forms a triangle. This is the key feature for forming Calvin Tile hex-grid coding. As you can see, these horizontal axonal projections can be in any direction so the resulting triangles do not have to be aligned on any particular axis. The vary in length over a limited range, allowing some variation in the spacing between the mini-column nodes. I see this as the underlying mechanism of the three signalling modes of scaling, orientation, and phase.
This drawing sums up this relationship, the light lines and shaded zones are the rising axonal connections and zones that they can influence, skipping about 15 “in-between” mini columns, the heavy lines are the lateral axonal connections for this trio of cells:

This construction forms the low-level hex-grid units. When hex-grids signaling from two or more maps interact (through projections to a distant map) this underlying hex grid pattern interacts to form the macro Moser grid pattern as described in this post:

This is one of the key differences between what I am doing and what Numenta has been working on in the research meeting I have seen - I put the Moser grids as a larger scale emergent property of Calvin tile coding on the mini-column level and Numenta is asserting the grid modules are somehow a direct property of the macro-column module.

3 Likes