Chaos/reservoir computing and sequential cognitive models like HTM

Well, we could try in my Chinese. Though I would be very surprised if that provided a clearer channel!

To attempt in text… Your first question:

I’m hypothesizing “words” will be collections of letter spikes which tend to synchronize in a raster plot. As sketched in this post:

You can imagine the "x"s in the sketched raster plot above being pushed together, synchronized, in the same way.

So, to answer your question, I’m saying that might be how we could ‘identify such “elements” for “words”, out of simulated data and phenomena.’

Why would they synchronize? You made the good point that with a single node representation the letter network would immediately become completely saturated with links. It’s brought me back to the idea that we will need a distributed representation, an SDR, even for letters. I think an SDR representation for letters can mean that an entire path leading to a letter can be coded as a subset of the whole letter SDR. The same path can even be encoded in multiple such subsets, effectively coding for repetition. And the same variety of subsets can differentiate letter connections generally, so our network is not immediately saturated, and we can differentially find resonances among more tightly connected clusters associated with words.

In this I’m reminded of earlier work coding longer sequences in an SDR explored together with @floybix back in 2014. I’ve posted that in a separate thread. Perhaps Felix’s code can be a basis for our letter SDR representation now:

Your second question:

To find which sub-sequences synchronize their oscillations we don’t need to enumerate them all. We just need to set the network oscillating, perhaps with a specific driving “prompt” activation, and see which elements synchronize. The network performs the search, in parallel, for us, as it is seeking its own minimum energy configuration.

2 Likes