GRID/Displacement cell uniqueness

Dear Ladies/Gents,

I’d like to ask for your opinion on uniqueness of grid cell patter for every environment. I understand there’s plenty of evidence for grid cells anchoring to learned environment.

My question is - is there any paper/suggestion/model that is explaining how exactly the anchoring of grid cells to a specific environment works, please?

To be more specific - let’s say the paper “A Framework for Intelligence and Cortical Function Based on Grid Cells in the Neocortex” (link) is describing 3 main grid cell properties, the 3rd being “(3) Locations are unique to each environment”. Is there any mechanism/model/paper describing how exactly this is done?
Also in another paper " Locations in the Neocortex: A Theory of Sensorimotor Object Recognition Using Cortical Grid Cells" (link) I found a reference saying that grid cells activate a random location - but I get that it’s just a way of thinking of how to make it happen and it’s not really random.
I know there’s evidence proving that grid cells are anchored/remapped, but I’m not able to find any mechanism of how exactly this is happening. I can imagine a way or two, with or without randomness, but I’m trying to implement it and I’m having the feeling that I missed one crucial paper or that I overlooked something.
If there is no paper but you gave this topic a thought or two - what is your view on this?

Thank you in advance and best of luck.

Martin

3 Likes

Hello Martin,

There are several competing ideas about how grid cells form and anchor to their environment. In my opinion, the best of these ideas is (Kropff & Treves, 2008) which I explain in depth at:

I hope this helps

4 Likes

Hi dmac,

ah, very nice, am already going through the paper. Thank you for your help!

M

1 Like