How do we create a grid cell system and how do we link it to an HTM?

How do we create a grid cell system and how do we link it to an HTM? Can we use an HTM to form a grid cell system? Once we have a grid cell system how do we attach it to an HTM?

You just pretty much summed up what the Numenta research team has been working on for quite awhile. I don’t have any answers for you, but I can promise that we will transparently publish all our findings after we are confident of their accuracy.

4 Likes

I should also say that as of today, no one really knows how grid cell firing patterns are actually established in the brain. There are lots of theories, and we’ve figured out many ways to do it. But not sure how the brain does it yet.

2 Likes

Some of us have ideas about this works.

1 Like

There are lots of people trying to figure out what kinds of things we might do with grid cells all over the world. We still don’t understand how they emerge within the brain, although we think they learn their behavior (that they are not pre-wired to map space). They require a basic understanding of space in order to map it the way they do. Meaning they rely on lower-level understanding of sensory perception and movement through a space, which is required in order to map the space.