How to swarm over geospatial data?

Hi Forum,
I wonder how to do swarming over geospatial data? I would be very thankful if someone could point me to an example including the use swarming and Geospatial Coordinate Encoder (I couldn’t find any).
/Christian

1 Like

Currently, you cannot swarm over geospatial data. I suggest you use model parameters we’ve used in our sample application:

1 Like

Aha, ok. Thanks

Hi,
I would like to now if now it is possible to swarm over geospatial data and if it isn’t possible why is that???

I did not mean to say swarming over geospatial data is impossible, but that it was not implemented. I can give you several reasons why.

1. There is really no need to swarm over geospatial data unless you’re using the CoordinateEncoder directly (not the GeospatialCoordinateEncoder) because we’ve already found good params for most situations noted above.

2. We don’t use the swarming code much anymore (at Numenta). For streaming analytics applications, we have found a set of params that work pretty well across most data streams, so there was no need to swarm anymore. For our research work, parameters are usually hand-tuned.

3. We have plans to replace the current swarming library with a more universal parameter search library.

4. Numenta prioritizes work that directly supports ongoing research. Currently, we need a more flexible C++ build system for easier extension points because we build our research code with NuPIC as a dependency. Much of our engineering resources have been going into software build issues, continuous integration, and process improvements.

I hope that makes you feel a little better. We are not ignoring you, but there’s a lot of work to do and only so many of us. We have to prioritize research work, but I hope you will all reap the benefits of our research as it provides new software functionality in the future.

All that being said, there is nothing stopping anyone from working swarming if you have the determination to tackle a legacy python codebase. I can point you in the right direction if anyone is interested.

1 Like

I’m sorry I didn’t mean to say that you were ignoring that. Probably, I will do it manually as you say. I’m just starting with this and I also don’t have knowledge of python.

Thank you very much!

1 Like