Interval encoding in a htm model

Hi,

as human can do, can a htm model encode interval of time ? For example an event happens followed by a second, between both 1 second. Can htm model reproduce that interval of 1 second ?

2 Likes

Yes, HTM encodes intervals as you describe. But you must remember that time is relative to the brain. Sensory input is constantly rich and available, but we do not process it all. Our brains must choose what data to process, and how quickly to sample it. That’s why sometimes when you feel adrenaline it seems like time slows down. So, the TM part of HTM is certainly encoding intervals. That is exactly what it is good at. But the sensory input must be stable (meaning coming in at a consistent sampling rate that never changes).

3 Likes

That being said, the lizard brain is controlling this sampling rate, and the cortex is certainly affected by the chemical coctails the lizard brain can feed it, so there must be a feedback loop here between cortex and lizard brain, or else you’d never be able to reason your way out of a crisis. :wink: We’re going to need to figure out that part eventually, too.

2 Likes

Thank you for answer,

by the way i read some papers about time process in humain brain and i found that striatum is involved in time perception. Do you think time process is also in cortical brain ? And do you have paper about it ?

All our papers are essentially about the processing of sensory input over time. The entire brain has to deal with time, because we process sensory input in time steps.

How abut the time cells in the hippocampus?

Just the sort of thing you need to make your way through the day?
I would add that during sleep the encoded contents of the hippocampus are pushed back onto the cortex so it follows that, yes - indirectly, the cortex has time encoding.

yes we have time cells and place cells that contribute to each other in HC