Lowest processing structure of HTM

Is that a serious question, or are you making a point that I should provide more detail? If the former… well, a typical configuration sets an upper boundary at 255 synapses per segment, and 255 segments per cell. But that might be a little busy to draw…

The whole diagram depicts the concept of an HTM cell.

Again, I assume you are trying to make a point that I should post more detail. I don’t think that is necessary here – folks can refer to Numenta’s papers and BAMI among many other resources here on the forum.

Assuming by “column” you mean minicolumn, then no, a collection of cells in different minicolumns produce an SDR. A single minicolumn (when not bursting) is only capable of generating one bit of an SDR. If you are referring to a cortical column, then sure - it takes a network of cells to construct an SDR. Of course you also changed the subject here – I was referring to the “lowest processing structure” in the HTM algorithm, not the “minimal processing unit capable of generating an SDR”.

Relating this back to the original subject:

Clearly, by “column” Cairo was talking about HTM minicolumns here – specifically the SP algorithm which has an optimization whereby multiple cells sharing a receptive field are modeled as all sharing a single proximal segment (as if the minicolumn itself were a neuron in the case of feedforward processing). He was not talking about cortical columns. I don’t think anyone would assert that a cortical column in HTM is equivalent to a neuron in other algorithms.

BTW, for Cairo’s benefit, that particular optimization applies only to feedforward processing in the SP algorithm. There is more to HTM than just the SP algorithm, though, so from a broader perspective I do not feel it is accurate to think of single HTM minicolumns in general as being equivalent to single neurons in other algorithms.

1 Like