Neuroscience question, do L5 corticothalamic cells ever generate movements?

I’d rather not spend time on this if anyone knows the answer.

L5 corticothalamic cells definitely project to the brainstem and such, but that doesn’t mean they’re motor outputs. Many corticofugal projections seem to target sensory cells, modifying sensory input rather than generating behavior.

S1 seems to activate a muscle (source), so motor output still seems universal. I’m just wondering whether motor command cells are corticothalamic.

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I assume this is so, but my research was inconclusive. It also seemed necessary for cerebellum to at least modulate the corticothalamic output it since fine tuning is required when it comes to any sort of movement.

Can you elaborate on what you’re saying about the cerebellum? I think it could influence cortically generated behaviors because it projects to cortex via thalamus. Although, I don’t know whether it could influence motor outputs from things besides the motor cortex.

Let’s say the layer 5 sends the motor command for a specific movement, what happens if that command gets executed insufficiently or the desired outcome is not quite reached? Then you should either modulate the corresponding layer 5 to steer into the desired outcome or you can keep the movement command seperated from its execution (stuff that goes wrong specifically). There could be countless things that could go wrong during the execution of a single movement; external factors, injuries, physical capability at that given time etc. It would be a combinatorial explosion if you solve this by modulating the layer 5. There is also the process of learning that said movement which (I think) needs some sort of stable motor command to use it as reference to correct on. So from what I have read, the execution of the said movement is constantly corrected and fine tuned (possibly optimized) to allign with the actual wanted movement via stuff like balance, locomotion constraints. Cerebellum specifically does this.