Nonconservative Neurobiology - A geometric perspective upon synaptic transmission

In a Reddit Cognitive Biology forum topic I found this that (neuroscientifically) seems to go beyond Hinton’s capsules and such. Although there is no way to know how much of this holds true I felt it needed to be presented:

In this last section, I provide a framework that may be used to construct the environment in which a 3D+1 electrochemical physiology-model may unfold, and where the geometrical details of that environment can be extracted from actual observations. While leaving a fuller mathematical treatment for the future, I will try to show how such a framework can be used to gain a fresh perspective of the synaptic function. The driving questions of this discussion are: ”what is a cell?”, and ”how does electricity act on cells?”.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332818326_Nonconservative_Neurobiology_A_geometric_perspective_upon_synaptic_transmission

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Dinu_Patirniche2/publication/332818326/figure/fig3/AS:754151533326340@1556815145639/All-lynnganisms-with-up-to-5-lynns-k-represents-the-trees-breath-while-d-represents.png

4 Likes

Hi, as I’m the author of this work, if you need any clarifications of it, I’d be happy to provide them.

With this perspective, I tried to asses how electricity develops within the material architecture of living beings. As it turns out, organisms can be described as a set of nested conductors, omnidirectionally bound by dielectrical sheets (i.e. membranes). If one follows the evolution of an action-potential within such a system, it becomes immediately clear that the spatial displacement of the pulse along an axon looks the perspective of a stationary spine as a temporal increase in the magnitude of the electromagnetic field. This time-dependent change of the EM-field, induces an electromotive force in the presynaptic neuron, which upon the opening of ligand gated ion-channels, must be release a part if this energy back into the extracellular space.
Acknowledging that electricity is described via a tensor field (i.e. the electromagnetic field), and not the scalar electrical potential, neurons and all other cellular components can be described as exotic antennae, while the brain/organism as such, can be treated as a particle/field decelerator.

4 Likes