Should I read On Intelligence?

I just found that there’s a copy of On Intelligence in a library near where I live. It sounds like an interesting read. But I’m not sure how useful it is; how close it is to modern HTM? etc…

What’s your opinion? Should I read the book?

2 Likes

It is a very interesting read :slight_smile:

can’t say

Jeff held to his original insight that prediction & temporal unfolding of sequences were at the heart of the matter.

can’t say

It is a very interesting read :slight_smile:

Why, yes :angel:

2 Likes

@marty1885 I read it just after releasing 2005 and fand very interesting…but many things are better understood by experimenting with current HTM …

1 Like

It depends how much you know about HTM and how convinced you are Numenta is on the right track.

To me it was incredibly inspiring. It answered some fundamental questions and asked new interesting ones. As if finally some things started to make sense. I know many people feel the same.

Also, it’s not a big book. It’s clearly written by an engineer who want to come to the point. You won’t loose much time reading this. I defenitely recommend it.

4 Likes

Sure. It only inspired me greatly when I was a child and made me who I am today! xD

1 Like

I agree with the other answers.

Definitely yes, I would advise you to read the book if you intend to look further into biological-inspired AI approaches. I liked Jeff’s step-by-step methodological reasoning combined with necessary speculations to build a theory of the neocortex. And even if it dates back to 2004, it’s very interesting to understand how his vision progressivly evolved in today’s HTM.

But don’t expect to gain state-of-the-art knowledge about HTM mechanisms, SDR, grid cells (weren’t discovered at this time) or subcortical structures. Also, his take on hierarchy has evolved a lot since the book.

Personally, “On Intelligence” was my first book on the subject. It profoundly piqued my curiosity and I rapidly became addicted to neuroscience books, reading dozens of them in the last few years. Thanks for this Jeff !

I took some detailed notes about the book at that time. It is in French (automated translation should be ok) but I don’t know if I can post it here. Maybe @rhyolight ?

PS: I read somewhere that Jeff is working on a new book

5 Likes

Feel free to start a new topic with your notes on the book.

Hopefully you’ll be reading it in the coming year. It will include all the new stuff.

5 Likes