Show and Tell: Simulator for Conductance Based Models

Hello,

I’d like to show and tell you all about what I’ve been working on for a while now. Here is a short description of the project and its goals:

NEUWON is a simulation framework for neuroscience and artificial intelligence specializing in conductance based models. This software is a modern remake of the NEURON simulator. It is accurate, efficient, and easy to use.

It is currently in the alpha phase of development, so it is not at all ready to be used. It’s written it in python and freely available under the MIT license. Link: https://github.com/ctrl-z-9000-times/NEUWON

Here are some pictures of action potentials generated by the software:

Merry Christmas

6 Likes

I’ve now implemented a neuron growth algorithm. The goal of this algorithm is to generate realistic neuronal morphological from a concise description of their basic properties. I use the TREES algorithm combined with the morphological constraints used by the ROOTS algorithm. The algorithm is capable of making both dendrites and axons. Neuronal growth is constrained to an arbitrary area.

This animation shows an action potential propagating through an axonal arbor. The color represents the membrane electric potential: blue = -70mV, red = +55mV. The Soma is the large cylinder in the lower left corner. I constrained the axon into a spiral shape. The width and height of this shape are approximately 200 micrometers and the center of the shape recedes 600 micrometers into the distance. The model populated with Hodgkin-Huxley channels and an AP is initiated at the soma.

TREES:
Cuntz H, Forstner F, Borst A, Hausser M (2010)
One Rule to Grow Them All: A General Theory of Neuronal Branching and Its Practical Application.
PLoS Comput Biol 6(8): e1000877.
doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000877

Bingham CS, Mergenthal A, Bouteiller J-MC, Song D, Lazzi G and Berger TW (2020)
ROOTS: An Algorithm to Generate Biologically Realistic Cortical Axons and an Application to Electroceutical Modeling.
Front. Comput. Neurosci. 14:13.
doi: 10.3389/fncom.2020.00013

6 Likes

This is quite beautiful work. I haven’t had time to dig in deeply, but very happy to see what you’re sharing. :slight_smile:

4 Likes