[Video Lecture] Short Term Synaptic Plasticity

In this lecture I discuss short term synaptic plasticity.
What is it? And what is its purpose?

5 Likes

Great overview. Thanks!

Wouldn’t the depression type and the facilitation type not counteract or balance each other out? Or is each type found in specific places?

2 Likes

Yes, the depression and facilitation are expressed in different places.
And also they can be tuned differently, to depress/facilitate at different rates, and to recover at different speeds, so they don’t cancel each other out.

I think I made a mistake when I said: “both phenomenon are present in almost all synapses.”
I should have said something like: “one or both of these phenomena are present in many synapses.”

2 Likes

Good content but you should have more visuals and less fluffy tails. Man that tail is distracting :stuck_out_tongue:

Perhaps some visuals that diagram the synapse in its physical context since you use the words pre and post-synapse “X” quite a lot. Great for verbal learners, not so great for visual learners like myself.

By the way, how are you doing this avatar? Is it physically capturing your own movements, or is there some kind of lecture software which generates movement based on your own speech and selecting locations to point to at specific times?

2 Likes

I recorded this using a VR-headset which captures the 3D location & orientation of my head, hands, and fingers. The other movements are generated by software, including the mouth movements which are generated from my speech. I recorded this in the game “VRChat.” I use a script displayed in front of me and the script is invisible to the camera, just like a real teleprompter.

You’re right I really should put more visuals into these things, but that’s harder to do. I drew the diagram on the whiteboard using the in-game markers. Ideally I would prepare all of the diagrams ahead of time using computer graphics instead of drawing them by hand.

1 Like

Yeah, I loved the content… and the grey fox avatar too. The tail was okay for me, but the wiskers wer all wrong - in a real fox they are stiff, not floppy. :wink:

1 Like