Can basal NMDA spikes turn an AP into burst firing?

TL;DR: In addition to spiking earlier, does a neuron in the predictive state burst fire upon receiving sensory input?

Input to the apical zone (feedback compartment) of a pyramidal neuron can cause a dendritic calcium spike, leading to burst firing in the neuron. As well, the apical zone can modulate somatic APs into bursts via BAC firing.

When I try to find info on whether basal NMDA spikes can modulate bursts, I read that:

however, a single NMDA spike cannot trigger a somatic action potential or can trigger only a single action potential

I can’t tell if the article is saying that NMDA spikes cannot cause bursting (without driving input), or if NMDA spikes are unable to modulate an somatic AP into burst firing (with driving input). I can’t find something definitively saying that basal NMDA spikes can modulate bursting.

HTM theory holds that an NMDA spike modulates a neuron by making it spike earlier, which is important to a WTA circuit. However, I was wondering if it is also the case that the depolarized somatic state from contextual input leads the neuron to burst fire, or if this is something that only the Feedback compartment is able to do with calcium spikes?

1 Like

Actually, I just found this. I still have to read the paper, but the abstract says:

Here we show that NMDA spikes in basal dendrites mediate both detection and generation of bursts through a postsynaptic mechanism. High-frequency inputs to basal dendrites markedly facilitated NMDA spike initiation compared with low-frequency activation or single inputs. Unlike conventional temporal summation effects based on voltage, however, NMDA spike facilitation depended mainly on residual glutamate bound to NMDA receptors from previous activations. Once triggered by an input burst, we found that NMDA spikes in turn reliably trigger output bursts under in vivo -like stimulus conditions. Through their unique biophysical properties, NMDA spikes are thus ideally suited to promote the propagation of bursts through the cortical network.

2 Likes