I have a few years background in machine learning and I just started reading about HTM and taking the YouTube courses last week to bring myself up to speed. The only issue that I have hit so far is that there are no simple examples to play with so I am making little headway given the sheer number of parameters that can be tuned. I asked a few questions last week about a simple square wave prediction but have had no responses at all.
That lead me to a few questions:
- I am wondering if this is really a closed group more for an already established group of enthusiasts or if it is more widely open?
- Is there a reason for the lack of simple examples other than manpower to create them?
- If I were to present some example dead simple datasets, would anyone be able to direct me to a point where I could make them available so that others would have an easier time getting started?
- The group is actively promoted in Linkedin. We welcome all interested people.
- I don’t know how simple you might mean but this thread lists a host of projects:
Other HTM projects
@Paul_Lamb ‘s project may be the example you are looking for.
- If you do come up with something this seems like a good place to add it.
HTM school gets about as simple as you can get - Matt runs example and explains what is happening in bite-sized chunks!
When @rhyolight (Matt) returns I will ask him if we can pin this link somehow to make it easier for the casual visitor to find.
Thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.
Thanks for the link, but I guess I was mostly talking about use cases that demonstrate how the system works as opposed to implementations and tool add-ons. I agree that HTM school explains the concepts well but what I found was that there were no simple examples to go with it. For example, the hot-gym example is not something that one looks at and immediately identifies that there is an anomaly. Simple data sets with predictable findings are what I was thinking.
If these exist, that is what I would be interested to look at them. Otherwise, that is what I would want to put together.
I like your idea and would like to see it developed.
The first youtube video that got me here was this, which also links to a jupyter notebook:
Siraj’s jupyter notebook here.
Thanks for linking that, I hadn’t seen it yet myself. Siraj gets a few points wrong, but overall it’s not a bad introduction video. He hits on the important concepts, and has a lot of followers… guessing he brought more than a few folks to HTM with this video.
Hi @longtimer, thanks for the questions. Please see the Using NuPIC wiki page, which includes links to several tutorials on building applications. Hopefully you also found the Quick Start in the API docs. I spent a lot of time coding up the examples there using all 3 of our APIs.