How to generate place fields in grid cells

This shows a graphic example of how my proposed system works.

There is something at work to form the cluster of features that we can identify as a Moser grid cell being active when certain inputs are present. I think that in time Numenta will show how the TBT builds up to doing this.

I think that the Calvin tiles method (hex-grid coding) shows great promise but until I get demo code running to show this in action it is just another pretty theory.

BTW: to clarify a relationship - (mini-columns made up of HTM cells) group together to form (Hex-grid coding) to interact with hex-grid codes in other maps to display the macro-property of (activation spot in Grid cell array)

Example below:

The black spots are mini-columns. The colored lines are competition wining lateral connections, the red in one map and the blue in another. The yellow spots are in a third map where the projections from the red and blue maps coincident hex-grid signalling interact to a form a spot that you call a grid module. I don’t expect the entire hex-grid arrays to be active at the same time.

The recognized input space (the room) sets up a hex-grid in one map; allocentric locations. This is all the sensed cues such as landmarks or odors.

Your relation to the landmarks or body senses like moving set up a related smaller patch of hex-grid in a different map. YOU in the allocentric location space. Same processing, just add YOU to the mix.

In the map/area with the coincident bits there is a signal in the EC that could be learned in the HC as a location. A place. Since the YOU patch is smaller only one intersection goes active as you are in this area.

There is no requirement to go and visit all the spots in the room to form the Moser gird, this is formed automatically by processing the perceived space into hex-grid patterns when you enter the space.

A goal does much the same thing but the GOAL is added to the landmark mix instead of YOU.

All my hex-grid posts are totally based on HTM, they just assume that the output forms these hex-grid things. And explains how.

1 Like