HTM Hackers' Hangout - Mar 1, 2019

One of the things that jump out to me going through it is that the Numenta simulation does lateral connections to ALL cell bodies.

You may recall that I consider the length of the lateral connection to be an important consideration as it clearly is in biology. Topology matters. This leads to the hex-grid signaling in my models.

Please consider the implications of hex-grid coding and how this can build to the observed properties of Moser Grid cell. What do I mean by building to Moser grids? Consider this image.

The red and blue hex-grids are formed in separate maps and project to a third, say the EC.

These hex-grids are formed by hex-grid coding whatever stream of information that they are processing. I have shown the entire extent of the hex-grid but it is likely that this would be a much smaller patch of hex-grid activation as the stimulus to the map changes.

This is the sparse and active cells in the L2/3 layer and the output axons project to other maps.

In the map where they join there are hot spots formed as the information that they are coding intersects and reinforces. (the yellow patches)

Ignoring this biological property of lateral connections is why this is a big yawn to Numenta.

It is critical to my understanding the inter-map interactions.

1 Like