NEW htm-community forks: nupic.cpp, nupic.py

Hey all!

I’ve created the forks of @numenta/nupic.core and @numenta/nupic.core in @htm-community organization :wink: Please hop in with all the development, PRs and ideas!

A few notes:

• I’ve taken the opportunity of the new fork and slightly renamed the repos: nupic.cpp & nupic.py ,
  1. to avoid confusion (there is already community fork (any) vs (htm-)community fork (the org)), also we talked about that in the past. Please let me know what you think
  • I’ve added some people with write access, if something doesn;t work, please let me know. For starter, @rhyolight is the man behind the scenes (has access everywhere)
  • let’s continue discussion what we want to achieve here and on the github issues.

PF 2018 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are some questions about the organization, ideas, goals of the forks.

1. we need CI, after that new PRs can flow in (I assume the code flow would be higher than in nupic)
  2. for Issues, should we use separate list for the new repositories (more convenient), still some old issues should be linked from the old bug trackers.
  3. As Numenta is likely toning down their code work on the repos, can we expect that eventually the community and numenta repos will be synced? (community->numenta)
    3.1. is there some planned huge change in numenta? (like totally reworked TM, or something)
    3.2. will the numenta/research still be updated?
  4. should we still want feature-parity in nupic.py / nupic.cpp? Or just keep the API and treat py as any other repo?

Thanks for creating the forks.

But the names are going to be a bit of a problem. nupic.cpp was nupic.core I assume. In that core there is the C++ core library itself and there will be clients interfaces for each of the languages. Initially a Python 3.x client, and then clients for C++, C++/clr and C# which I am working on. The name nupic.cpp kind of implies that this is just the C++ interface.

If you cannot use nupic.core would a better name for the core be nupic.lib, nupic.algorithms, or maybe nupic.community.core?

But the names are going to be a bit of a problem. nupic.cpp was nupic.core I assume.

correct, that’s the numenta’s C++ codebase. Of course the name is not a problem, so I have no problem changing it again.
My idea behind this was to lessen the confusion in chats, so now you can talk about nupic.cpp and nupic.core and tell the distinction.

Initially a Python 3.x client, and then clients for C++, C++/clr and C# which I am working on.

Great, I saw the Python 3 initiative and I’m looking forward!
Btw, what is a C++ client as the repo is already c++? (I understand the other bindings)

In that core there is the C++ core library itself and there will be clients interfaces for each of the languages.

This brings us to repo organization…Actually, I’ll just spawn a new thread (there has been a discussion about that, and about the names, both spanned miles :wink: )

Please focus further discussion about repo names & structure here Re-Organisation of the C++, PY Community repos

• CI services for community all up and running.
  • created a “view” of differences with original nupic.core (PR) https://github.com/numenta/nupic.core/pull/1395 where I comment a short summaries of the changes. Serves as a log and review for other people. Also, runs tests.