How to install nupic on air gap computer with windows OS

Hello,
I am new to nupic :slight_smile:
I want to start and develop withe nupic on my server .
The server is not connected to the internet.
May someone can instruct me how to install nupic (python) on stand alone computer with WINDOW OS.
Thanks,
MA

1 Like

hi , and welcom to numenta ^^
The answer is here:

and a first step try this link:
http://nupic.docs.numenta.org/1.0.5/quick-start/algorithms.html

1 Like

Hii,
I read all the documentation but I fail to install nupic package on air gap computer (with Windows OS).
May someone have idea or any instructions how to do that?
Thanks for your help!

What is an air gap computer? And what version of Windows?

Hii,
Air gap computer is a computer without connection to the internet.
I try to install nupic on Win10/ Win7/ Win server 2012
I download the package from the following link : https://github.com/numenta/nupic/archive/1.0.5.zip
using the pip install nupic command .
using Pip 9.0.1 and python 2.7.14
Thanks,

Hii,
Can you please give an instructions how to install nupic on air gap computer (without internet connection).
I am working on Windows OS server (2012).
I am using python version 2.7.14
Pip version : 10.0.1
I download offline all the requirements packages according to the requirements.txt in nupic-1.0.5 folder .
I use the following command:
pip download -r c:\nupic-1.0.5\requirements.txt
I try to install the file with the following command :slight_smile:
pip install -r c:\nupic-1.0.5\requirements.txt --no-index --find-links c:\req_nupic-1.0.5
I received the following error :

pip install nupic gives error "Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1 in c:\appdata\local\temp\20\pip-install-rcv5x0\pytest-xdist\

I will appreciate your help in that issue .
Thanks,

What if you tried installing it the good old-fashioned way (via the internet) on another PC, and then copied/shared the pip cache as per this? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/11033753/transfer-python-setup-across-different-pc

I just want to clarify again that our current build, versioning, and deployment tools to not support offline installation with pip. I’m sure there are ways to do this with tarballs or something, but you are on your own.

If your OS is 64-bit, another option might be to use Docker.

If Docker is not already installed on your air gap computer

NOTES: Docker for Windows is not compatible with older Windows Server < 2016, so below is for the legacy Docker Toolbox installation. Virtualization must be turned on in the BIOS. Windows Hyper-V must be disabled in the OS. I do not have a computer with Windows server 2012 to test this on, so you may run into problems and require some additional Googling.

1. From a computer with internet access, download the VirtualBox installer from here.
  2. Transfer the VirtualBox installer to the air gap computer, run it, and then reboot once the installation is complete.
  3. From a computer with internet access, download the Docker Toolbox installer from here.
  4. Transfer the Docker Toolbox installer to the air gap computer, and run it. Take note of the application version (you can also get the version by looking at the .exe file properties) Reboot once the installation is complete.
  5. From a computer with internet access, download the boot2docker ISO image from here. Be sure to download the specific version which matches the Docker Toolbox version from the previous step (for example, if DockerToolbox.exe shows version 18.03.0-ce, then you’ll want to download boot2docker ISO from tag v18.03.0-ce)
  6. Transfer the boot2docker.iso file to the air gap computer under C:\Users\<your username>\.docker\machine\cache. If that folder doesn’t exist, try launching the Docker QuickStart Terminal first, which will produce an error when it tries to go online to download boot2docker.iso. This should create the folder, where you can then copy the boot2docker.iso file, and relaunch Docker QuickStart. If everything is working, docker --version should output the version of Docker that you are running.

Once Docker is running on your air gap computer, you can pull the docker image for from another computer with internet access:

docker pull numenta/nupic

Then save the image to file:

docker save -o nupic_image.docker numenta/nupic

Then transfer the nupic_image.docker file over to the air gap computer, and load it:

docker load nupic_image.docker

NuPIC will then be available to run on your air gap computer in a Docker container. You can mount a local folder to share source code from the host with the container. This lets you code in whatever python editor on the host you like without having to install a copy of it in the container as well. For example:

docker run -it --rm -v "/c/path/to/myproject:/usr/src/myproject" numenta/nupic /bin/bash
1 Like

You essentially have to take every single .rpm and .wheel and put them onto a USB stick and install them by hand, yum and pip make this easy.