Research topic recommendation for bachelor thesis

Pieter,
My work is almost entirely based on simulations of the cells in the cortex and is completely unlike anything anyone else the people in this forum are doing. The test set, environment, and tool set are all in straight C and Perl. HTM happens to be one of the test configurations. Inputs are 2D maps of activation bits and maps of connections strengths, processing is all done on interactions of layers of maps, and the output is a map of bits.

How I do dendrites and synapses is somehow different than what anyone else here is doing.

All of the “standard” HTM configurations are based on OOP and are incompatible with what I am doing. Many people here struggle with making a simple encoder to process data sets. I am not ready to support teaching people how to transform data sets into the activation maps that I work with at this time.

Interpreting activation patterns as results is likely to be equally difficult for most HTM users.

So - I don’t have anything that you could build off of at this time. I am working on making the execution kernel and tool set a little less user hostile and writing more theory posts so users will be able to understand what the software is doing and how to use it. I have to admit that much of my work has been code first - comment later, and reading it won’t shed much light on what it is doing. I used to comment more but I keep changing the code as I try things out and the comments got to be totally misleading so I killed lots of then as the comments were actually counter-productive at one point. Such is the joy of trying to cram in a huge project in the few hours between dinner and bed each night. I would fire me if I coded like this at work.

If you are to the point where you could code an HTM from scratch then the theory of how hex-grid coding fits is at the same level as making a spatial pooler. If you don’t feel comfortable making a SP from scratch then this is not something that is likely to be helpful to you.

As far as integrating HTM and DL - you may want to read this post and give it some reflection:

2 Likes