Running community fork on Windows

Hii David, thank you for your informative answer, I hopefully try this version today. On your premission, I have some questions that not clear enough,

1. if I will run the same algorithm in the community version and in the official on the same data I will received the same result?
  2. I see in the community version thier warning that not finish to transfer the code to python 3, but the python 2.7 are fully supported?
    I will inform you about my experience with that version :slight_smile:
    Thanks ,
    M
1 Like

if I will run the same algorithm in the community version and in the official on the same data I will received the same result?

That is the intention. There have been changes to improve performance but the results should be the same. If you find you are getting different results please let us know. Some of the calling arguments or syntax may have changed slightly. Those changes should be recorded in API_CHANGELOG.md .

I see in the community version thier warning that not finish to transfer the code to python 3, but the python 2.7 are fully supported?

As code is being converted it is being moved from the nupic.py repository (which is a copy of the numenta’s nupic repository) into the nupic.py branch of the nupic.cpp repository. This is work in progress but we expect that python 2.7 should work. python 3.x should work on the code that has already been converted.

Oh, I just remembered, there is a problem with Python 2.7 running on Windows. There is no way that windows can load the python extension libraries built for python 2.7. This is a problem with MSVC compiler compatibility with the old python lib. Python 3.x should work.

1 Like

Hii David,
First , thanks for your answer.

Oh, I just remembered, there is a problem with Python 2.7 running on Windows. There is no way that windows can load the python extension libraries built for python 2.7. This is a problem with MSVC compiler compatibility with the old python lib. Python 3.x should work.

So, I want to clearfy my understanding, I am can’t work with python 2.x on Windows OS, but Python 3.x is not full supported?, So if my OS is Windows, I can’t work with python on the NuPIC community version? (Or thier any work around)
P.S: what is not supported in Python 3.x
Thanks alot

1 Like

The .py code in the nupic.py branch of the nupic.cpp repository should run with python3.

Hii @David_Keeney i try to build the nupic.cpp project by clicking on the startupMSVC.bat
I received an error in the end of the process

In addition I attach my log error here
May you have any idea how to solve the problem?
THANKS

It looks like you don’t have GIT installed. That was a temporary requirement that should be fixed soon. We currently obtain yaml-cpp directly from the master branch of their repository. In the meantime please download and install git.

Thanks for your feedback.

All of the code in the master branch of the community-fork which supports python2 also supports python3.

Also, for the most part, we are not converting the python2 to py3, we are rewriting it in C++ and writting language bindings which allow python (either version) to use it. This is slow process and we have not yet reached feature parity with the original nupic. Most of the big & important parts are in a somewhat usable state, if not polished & ready for general release.

Hii thanks, I will check it.
P.S: If I want to install the HTM community on air gap computer (computer without internet access) how I do it with this installation script?
Thanks.
MAK

Nupic.cpp downloads the prerequisites that it needs. However REAME.md describes how to manually download the packages. They can then be moved to your target machine with a thumb drive or whatever.

Note that the boost package is not needed on Windows.

Hii @David_Keeney, I try to install the community edition on air gap computer.
I work according to the instruction in nupic.cpp-master\external\CMakeLists

I copy the packages to nupic.cpp-master/build/ThirdParty/share/ folder and clicking on the startupMSVC.bat , and again I receive the error that GIT is not installed when trying to download the yaml packge (even in my air gap computer, that contains all the packages) ,
May you have any suggestion how to solve the problem?
Thanks for your help!
MAK

Hii @dmac and @David_Keeney , where I can find the python package ?
I finish to build the numpic_core.sln , but where I can find the python installation package . so I can install and run (and compare) the community edition via python?
Thanks,
MAK

Hmmm, that sounds like a bug. I am traveling until Wednesday so I cannot try to reproduce your problem right now. I do need to fix the YAML-cpp download. But there may be something else not working.

One thing you can try is to delete the build folder and start over. Sometimes the cache can keep wrong answers from earlier tries.

Oh and thanks for trying this out. It is a big help.

From the root of htm-community/nupic.cpp repository, run this command to build & install the python version:
python setup.py install --user --force

Or for python version 3:
python3 setup.py install --user --force

Thanks, I will check it today at home.
P.S: during the building and installing process , it’s do something that need using with python ? , If the answer is yes, how I set the right python (I have on my OS python 2.7 and 3.x)…
Thanks again…

You need to use the desired version python to install it, for example:
python27.exe setup.py install --user --force
Or
python34.exe setup.py install --user --force

Both of these example commands should run the python setup script:

• Running the setup script with the python2 interpreter should install it for python 2.
  • Running the setup script with the python3 interpreter should install it for python 3.

You can check if it installed correctly by opening the interactive python shell (of your desired version, 2 or 3), and trying to import the library: import nupic.bindings

I have updated the software that downloads the dependencies. Please fetch the latest nupic.cpp master repository.

• Git is no longer needed for Yaml-cpp download.
  • The manual override for air-gap computers now works.
  • Note that the README.md has changed. There is a table of packages to be downloaded for manual override. The URL’s and the resulting file names have changed so if you were using this before you will need to do this again.

Please let us know if you have problems with this.

Hii @David_Keeney ,
I only now check the new master-release .
We still encounter in error during the installation process on air gap computer.

Performing download step <download, verify and extract> for ‘mist-download’
Downloading…
dst='/nupic.cpp-master/build/ThirdParty/mnist_data/mnist-download/mnist-download-prefix/src/master.zip
using src=https://github.com/wichtounet/mnist/archive/master.zip

try to download 5 time, and than return error.

Thanks,
MAK

@MAK hmmm, this seems odd.

Performing download step <download, verify and extract> for ‘mist-download’
Downloading…
dst=’/nupic.cpp-master/build/ThirdParty/mnist_data/mnist-download/mnist-download-prefix/src/master.zip
using src=https://github.com/wichtounet/mnist/archive/master.zip

This is normal output telling you that it is doing the download… Is there an error after that?

When you downloaded the new master repository did you put it in a clean repository folder?
And, if you do need to start over, be sure to delete the build folder that gets created in the repository. CMake caches stuff in build\ThirdParty and in build\script and will keep the settings from the previous builds so you need to delete the build folder if the build did not complete successfully. Then restart by double clicking startupMSVC.bat. When the script stops you can press enter and Visual Studio should start.

Oh, I see what you mean…it is still trying to do the download on an air-gap computer. This could still be the CMake cache hanging on to the old configuration. Clearing the cache should fix that. Let me know if it does not.

Hii @David_Keeney ,
I am working with air gap computer without connection to the internet.
The installation work fine (install all the external lib) until the error I mention above
SO , I received error .

CUSTOMBUILD: error: downloading https://github.com/wichtounet/mnist/archive/master.zip failed
status code: 6
status_string: “Couldn’t resolve host name”
log:
–LOG BEGIN—
timeout on name lookup is not supported
getaddrinfo<3> failed for github.com:443
Couldn’t resolve host ‘github.com
Closing connection 0

Thanks,