It allows us to organize content
There is no way to organize a mailing list except for date or subject. This forum allows me to keep categories and arrange topics within them. So folks looking for specific information can find all the topics on the subject within the category.
It gives the community more control
- you can choose what topics and categories to follow and which ones to ignore
- you can see more detailed information from other members, and find their previous posts easily
- you can organize into groups for those of you interested in particular things
- you can “like” posts, which helps identify which posts are well-received and which ones not so much (this is also informative to the poster wondering if they are providing value to the community)
- it has a clean and intuitive user interface with lots of information and tools
It gives me more control
- stable topic posts can be converted into wiki pages, keeping all the subsequent conversations entact
- collaborating with members is easy with groups
- trusted members are automatically ranked out as they interact with the forum and build up content, so I can see how people are contributing to the community and they can be rewarded
The HTM Community is growing
As it grows, we need better tooling for discussion. The mailing list technology we are using is almost 30 years old, and I don’t want to think about how it’s going to scale in an organized fashion. The tools provided by this forum will help a lot with growth issues.